About Me

I am a captive caretaker of three small terrorists and an exotic petting zoo. I try regularly to sneak college courses so one day I can leave this place.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

newest obsession

My newest obsession is gardening, much to my husbands chagrin. I just have this thing with if I can plant it I can get FREE organic food. OK not free, there is the soil, the plant, the water, the plant food, the neem oil, the gardening tools, the raised bed itself, the garden storage box for all my goodies and the fact that some of them don't survive. But the sun...it's free, and sometimes the water is free and apparently ALL the labor. I mean why spend 25$ a week on fruit and salad if I can grow it myself ?
It all started with those stupid bunnies. They have to have fresh greens daily. Kale is like .99 a bunch and they go through it in 3 days. But a Kale plant is 3.00 and it just keeps growing and growing. So those foolish bunnies were well fed on organic herbs and kale....herbs are easy to grow and they are prolific!
So anyway I thought 'that KT of mine is a fruit monger', the girl must eat 20$ in fruit every week all by herself. So I ordered a concord grape vine...I figure it will grow enough that I can say, 'your snack is outside, go pick it'. Although with all that free access to fruit we may have some tummy aches in our future.
I also ordered an olive tree, the olives will ripen at the end of the summer to black. All three of my kids love black olives, and most critters don't appreciate them so I won't have to chase Oscar (the local 'coon) away from them. That's a definite plus!!

No comments:

Post a Comment